Friday, March 7, 2008

So it begins...

So earlier this afternoon, after the longest flight ever, we finally arrived at Bangkok. It met every one of my expectations as being dirty, polluted, loud and overwhelming. Our first walk around town left a real bad taste in my mouth and made me want to leave the city as soon as possible. Kyle and I just went for a night walk in the rain though, and I think things aren't quite as crappy as I thought. We are staying in a big market area called Khao San Road, so right when you step outside the door, your assaulted with a full blitz of lights, sounds and aromas from all of the street vendors who are selling everything from clothes, massages and oddly titled food items such as the "hotdog demon", which ironically has no hot dog involved in any part of it. The minutes are runnin low so that means its time to sign off. I'll write more when I get a chance, and Kyle sends her love. -Ben

5 comments:

Kansai Katie said...

congrats on making it way over there! bangkok really doesn't sound like the nicest place to spend much time, but interesting none the less. i am oh so excited to hear about the rest of you guys's trip!!! bon voyage!

learnalott said...

I'm glad to hear that you all made it there safely. Remember to use common sense, and if someone offers you an experience ... or something that seems too good to be true, that's because it probably is.

Be sure and keep me posted where you are, so I can tack you. Have a good and safe time. Give my love to Kyle and everyone,

Love, Dad

Suzy said...

hot dog demon? are you sure that was a food item and not an uh... exotic massage?

learnalott said...

As I entered Jeremy and Balbina's house to visit this afternoon, I coyly showed a box of Vanilla Wafer cookies to Sharon. As she came running, I smiled and said cookies for you! She giggled and cooed, and then brushed them aside as she ran past me to the door pointing towards the car and calling out BEN ... Tio Ben over and over. She stood at the screen door looking all around, yelling Ben Aqui ... AQUI! When she realized you weren't coming, she kneeled down on the rug, covering her eyes saying Ben ... Aqui Ben ... and so it went ;-)

We all miss you and Kyle, but hope you are having a good and SAFE time!

Love,
Dad

Unknown said...

Hi there! This blog is a great idea!

Kyle, how are your sandals? How are YOU? Ben, are you all better now?

I hope you can post some pictures!

Love, Ma